Monday, August 1, 2016

Leni Caused a Horrible, Rotten, No Good, Very Bad Day

Not quite what you would expect from a service dog is it?

Yes, it's true. Thanks to Leni, I had a horrible, rotten, no good, very bad day...and ended up in the ER...no, just because I went to the ER doesn't necessarily make it a horrible, rotten, you get the picture day...

So what happened to cause such an adorable, snuggly, well-behaved poodle to result in an afternoon/evening spent in our favorite local establishment??

Don't let the cuteness fool you...
Let me first set the stage.

The day in question was a Friday, but it really started the day before. I had been really sick that Thursday. Sick to the point where I barely made it out of bed, couldn't walk to the bathroom without blacking out, couldn't focus my eyes or feel my limbs for part of the day, emptied pretty much everything from my insides...you get the picture =P We know it's a rough day when Nick has to call the couple we live with to have them check on me because I missed a call from him (I was asleep) and he was worried. Let's just say that we narrowly escaped a date night...at least we did that day...

Fast forward to the next morning. I woke up actually feeling pretty decent. I made it out of bed, got a bike ride in, and even made it downstairs! And that's where the excitement began...

As usual, I let the dogs out when I came downstairs. All 3 dogs were (note the past tense here...) on electric collars, so we would just opened the door and let them run out. I went into the kitchen, but all of the sudden, the dogs were gone. Apparently, they took off after what was likely a bunny. Since we live in front of a ravine, as soon as the dogs get below the level of the electric fence, it won't zap them...want to guess what happened here???

Now, before I continue, let me explain something about Leni (and probably poodles in general). She has incredible tunnel vision. This quality is part of what makes her a fantastic service dog. When she knows she is working, she is in work mode and knows how to behave. HOWEVER, as you may have figured out by now, this quality can also be her Achilles' heel...when she sets her mind on something, whatever it may be, it can be VERY difficult to distract her.

Back to the story...my guess is you know where this is going...

At this point, I'll let you know that out of the 3 dogs, Bonk is the one who came out as the favorite. He came right back in when we called. Stewie (beagle who belongs to the couple we live with) and Leni on the other hand, did nothing to stay in our good graces...or in sight for that matter...

Both dogs apparently picked up a scent and took off. Like I said, we live in front of a ravine, so they were down in the creek and out of sight before I got back from grabbing a pair of shoes. Side note: crocs do not make ideal wilderness trekking shoes.

Thankfully, they did eventually make their way back into sight. Unfortunately, while Stewie slowly returned to the house, Leni did not. Whether it was because she couldn't figure out how to get back across the creek or because she was still focused on chasing whatever scent they had gone after, I don't know. Regardless of WHY, it meant that I had to chase her down into the ravine, across the creek, and back up the other side to finally catch her.

Now, there are a few things I should mention. First, this happened during the wonderful heat wave that we had a week or so ago. It was hot and humid for anyone, let alone someone with mast cell disease who has a body that doesn't understand how to regulate temperature. Plus heat + humidity + running up and down a ravine + mast cells = asthma-like breathing issues. At this point I'm overheating and having trouble breathing...now factor in panicking that Leni is gone and running through thick brush and blazing my own trail...add in the adrenaline this sort of situation triggers and bleeding from numerous cuts all over my legs...sounds like prime breeding grounds for a mast cell party!

If it's any consolation, as soon as I caught Leni, she started alerting...yeah, I didn't think so either...

I ended up catching her on the other side of the ravine behind houses opposite where we live. I knew that in the midst of my reaction, there was no way I was going to make it back down and up the ravine with Leni. Thankfully, we were picked up by a friend who happened to be over during all the excitement and got in her car to see if she could find us. Once we got back to the house, I spent the next few hours drugging myself with my emergency medications, including multiple breathing treatments, in an effort to avoid the ER (spoiler alert: it was all to no avail) and picking hundreds of burrs off of Leni.

Unfortunately, sometimes my at home meds just aren't quite enough. A few hours later when my breathing wasn't improving, I was driven to ER for some IV medications and additional breathing treatments. Don't worry, Nick met us there a bit later to make it a true date night (afternoon).

So, thanks to Leni's escapades through the ravine, I got to spend the afternoon of what started as and could have been a good day in the ER instead....Thanks a lot, Bean...

But there's good in everything, right? At least we reaffirmed that I'm not allergic to poison ivy...go figure =P

1 comment:

  1. BAD DOGS!!!!!!!!! lol
    But am happy all the dogs made it back safe, as will as you Kylene.
    Am praying for no more days like that.

    ReplyDelete