Monday, March 28, 2016

Update Victory 2016

If you remember, I chose VICTORY as my OneWord for 2016. I went in to this year not knowing what it would look like, but choosing to focus on ways that God would bring about healing and growth in my life whether physical, spiritual, or otherwise. Since I have been seeing glimpses of victory, I thought I would share this along with my regular health updates.

First VICTORY update: FOOD!

If you've found me on instagram, you saw this earlier this week. If not (Look me up! kboka27 =P), here's the big news...I ate* my first "actual meal" in a long time this past week!

* Indicates the successful ingestion of food in an amount to be considered a small meal without any adverse effects including but not limited to nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, distension, mast cell activity, anaphylaxis, etc.

WHAT. A. BLESSING!

The past few weeks I have eaten some soft foods, fruit, and soups, but carefully, in small amounts. I've had a few bites of actual solid food, but not actually sat down with the intention of eating that as my meal...until Friday. Yay! 

I get my second Xolair injections on Tuesday (hopefully, please pray for on-time shipping!), so we are hoping that in the weeks to come I will be able to continue to add foods back into my diet. Tortilla chips, I'm looking at you! 

Second VICTORY update: WALKING!

If you remember, back in the fall I was having severe balance and coordination issues. It started in July and progressed until I was almost unable to walk unassisted on flat surfaces and had to use a wheelchair for long distances. 

Since this isn't a health update, I'm going to skip over all the medical details, those are in previous posts and I'll address that more fully in the future as well. Instead, I'm going to share photos from Easter Sunday that should speak for themselves.



Yes, that is Nick and me (and Leni and Bonk) on a HIKE! I've been in physical therapy since November working on strengthening, balance, and coordination. It has been an up and down road, and things are not yet back to my "normal," but it is such an incredible improvement from the fall.

I'm still a ways out from signing up for a race, still have not run yet, but it is so incredible to see how far I have come in just a few months. As we continue stabilizing my blood sugars, I continue physical therapy, and who knows what else we'll try or need to do, we are hoping that things will continue to improve.

So that's my VICTORY update for the first 3 months of 2016. Even being the one that this is happening to and living this in my life, just writing this post is making me pause and just sit in awe of what God has done (and is still doing) in my life just in the past few months...such a change from where I was a year ago or even just 6 months ago. After starting this year with a week in the hospital, I did not at all expect to be writing this post 3 months later. 

Life is still tough. I am not "healed" in the modern medicine view of the word. I still have mast cell disease. I still have daily symptoms and receive nutrition through a feeding tube. My time is still consumed with doctors appointments and insurance phone calls.

At the same time, though, I can 100% say that God is bringing about victory in my life. I don't know how long it will last...the Xolair may not keep working, we may discover that there is something else causing my balance/coordination issues, my mast cell disease could get 10xs worse...we just don't know. But we're choosing to focus on the victory right now, not the what-ifs.

On Easter we celebrated God's ultimate victory over death and sin, and it is because of Christ's victory that we can celebrate this victory in our lives and have hope for complete victory over pain and sickness and suffering in heaven for eternity. Thank you for being with us as we are thanking God for this victory. 

3 comments:

  1. SO ENCOURAGING MAY I SHARE YOUR BLOG?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Godly perspective on the many challenges you have had to go through is inspiring. I'm glad to hear that things are starting to move in the right direction, I'll be praying that you experience even more victory in the months ahead!

    ReplyDelete