Wednesday, April 1, 2015

What I (DIDN'T) Eat Wednesday

A friend of mine is a food blogger and post 3-5 times a week with recipes and other food related topics. One of the "theme" posts that she does each week is What I Ate Wednesday where she (and other bloggers in the food community) post what they ate that day with recipe links to the meals so their followers can attempt to try the recipes at home.

Lately I've been getting a lot of questions about whether or not I feel hungry and how I manage without eating, so I thought I would answer some of those questions in a What I DIDN'T Eat Wednesday post =)

I don't really get hungry. Because I have gastroparesis, my stomach does not process food normally. I can eat something on Monday morning, and it might not clear my stomach until late Monday night or even until Tuesday. Normal stomach transit time is <4 hours. There have been times where I will throw up food from 1-2 days earlier, and I can clearly tell what food it is because it is hardly digested. (Sorry if that's too much detail! =P) Anyway, because my stomach does not process food normally, I don't typically get hungry.

However, there ARE times when I will all of a sudden get really hungry. That typically happens after I've gone 3-4 days without eating (still on tube feeds, don't worry, I'm still getting my nutrition, just not by mouth). When that happens, I do try to eat something small because I am still supposed to eat so my stomach doesn't shut down completely. Unfortunately, right now, eating even small amounts is causing MCAS reactions and bad pain and nausea, so food and I are not really on speaking terms.

That being said, sometimes I do still get random food cravings...Nick likes to tease me that it's like a pregnancy craving...haha, yeah, NO, we will NOT be having any babies any time soon! So as a fun post, I thought I would share what I would have eaten based on my food cravings from the past few weeks.

What I DIDN'T Eat Wednesday:

Breakfast
Bowl of Cap'n Crunch or Frosted Flakes with almond or cashew milk (Side note: if you haven't tried cashew milk yet, DO IT!! It's really good!)

Snack
FRUIT! I miss this so much! Since fruit is high in fiber, it's been a while since I've had any fruit other than smashed bananas. I'd have green grapes, pineapple, oranges, grapefruit, etc. YUM!

Lunch
Turkey sandwich on homemade GF bread with carrots and hummus
Probably more fruit =)

Snack
FRUIT! Can you see a pattern here? I love fruit and miss it!
Tortilla chips or kettle corn (my kryptonite...just ask...anyone =P)

Dinner
Macaroni and cheese (no idea why I've been craving this since I don't know how long it's been since I've had this, but I guess that's why it's called a craving...haha, GF and DF of course =P)
Mixed veggies - corn, peas, green beans, carrots, broccoli, etc. Fresh vegetables!!!

Dessert
ICE CREAM!! Not usually much of a sweets person, I typically want the salty/savory foods, but last night I seriously wanted some ice cream...mint chocolate chip or plain vanilla would be good =)

So that's What I DIDN'T Eat Wednesday! I hope you enjoyed following along with my non-food blog post =) Hopefully once we find a medication that stabilizes my mast cells, I'll be able to look back on this post and have a day where I can change this to a What I DID Eat Wednesday! We are praying that day comes soon.

Until then, please enjoy your solid food for me =) And I'll stick with my popsicles and smoothies. At least the weather is warming up so I can enjoy cold drinks and not freeze constantly!

No comments:

Post a Comment