Sunday, September 22, 2013

If it's not one thing, it's another...

Last week as I limped (yes, limped...I'll get to that in a minute) out of class, I was having a joking conversation with a classmate. He was trying to decide how many times things had "happened" to me in the year I had known him...i.e. been injured, passed out, etc. He claimed it was 5, but we could only recall 3, so I'm sticking with that =)

Anyway, I realized (not for the first time...) that things just always seem to happen to me! Even when I was younger I had a reputation for being accident prone. I even earned the nickname SVU in college...a reference to the Special Victims Unit from Law and Order. Between all my medical stuff and just being me, there never seems to be a dull moment. If it's not one thing, it's another...

The latest to report is my recent test of gravity...let's just say it's still there and functioning just fine =P I had taken Bonk for a walk to watch a friend play flag football and while we were hanging out, I found a tree that had *perfect* branches for climbing. I tried climbing it on my own, but the branches were too far off the ground. Soooo...not someone to give up easily, I got some help from to get into the tree.

It was everything I thought it would be! It was one of those trees that had nice thick branches on a bunch of different levels, would probably make a great tree for a tree house. Anyway, what goes up must come down...

From the ground looking up the lowest branches didn't look that high, but in the tree looking down...definitely was a bit farther. It was probably the height of a low ceiling, but I decided to try to jump. As I was getting in to position to jump I slipped and ended up half falling, half jumping out of the tree. I landed on my feet, but with a straight right leg. I felt it immediately and knew I had jammed it pretty good...

Initially I couldn't put any weight on my leg, but after a bit I was able to walk (limp) back to my apartment which was about a quarter mile away. It was pretty bad for a couple weeks...I considered getting x-rays because just light weight-bearing was very painful. But at this point, I feel like I'm finally healing! Friday was the first day I could seriously feel improvement in my knee and didn't have to limp around - yay! Just in time, too, since I'm running a half marathon next weeked...at least my stomach has been cooperating the past week!

If it's not one thing it's another!

No comments:

Post a Comment