Sunday, May 19, 2013

Race Report #2: Ladies Choice Tri

One week after the Pittsburgh Half, my mom and I did a mini triathlon with a friend and her mom. We signed up for this race on a whim, but it turned out to be a really good chance to try (tri?? =P) things out with our new road bikes and clip-less pedals.

This was my first triathlon in 3ish years, so it was perfect for me to get back into the triathlon mentality again. It was a super sprint: 400 yd swim, 8 mile bike, and 2 mile run. I was seriously undertrained for this race, but went in with the attitude that I was just going to have fun, and it was a BLAST!!! I had so much fun I can't wait to do another.

I did the 400 yds in 8:15. I was happy with that because I had swam once in the past 2 months. My swim that I timed to see where I was at was a bit faster, but my pool I trained in was a bit smaller, and I was doing flip turns. This race only allowed open turns and you had to touch the wall at the beginning AND end of each lane. This definitely slowed me down, but like I said, I was very happy with my time.

Transitions were included in the bike and run times, so there was no official T1 or T2. But they were definitely there =) and one way I'll be able to get faster (hopefully) next time. I had brought my favorite running socks, but didn't think about the fact that they had compression in them...not the best idea for wet feet...I definitely lost some time trying to get my socks on during T1. Other than that, I had no complaints about T1. I made it out and mounted my bike with no issues (yay!) and was off on the bike!

I was most nervous about the bike going in to this race. I had been out on my bike with the new pedals a total of *1* time before the race...and that had been the day before...haha, not quite the best way to train for a race, but oh well =) I had been biking on my trainer so I was comfortable on my bike but just wasn't sure how I was going to manage the pedals. Turned out all my worrying was wasted because I had no issues. If anything, it was even better than I could have planned! The course was tricky because there were a lot of tight turns, and it was SUPER windy (read ~20mph). But I felt strong and was passing a lot of people during the bike which was fun =) I did the bike in 30:31 which ended up being 1 second faster than my mom =P

T2 (or lack there of) was pretty smooth. I made it in to transition easily without crashing (always a plus!) and switched my shoes quickly and was off. I even remembered to take my helmet off!

I felt a bit rough at the beginning of the run, but I was expecting that. I was able to settle in to a good pace about a half mile into the course. I had forgotten to turn my watch on at the beginning of the race, so I had no idea what pace I was running....I think I may do that more often! I felt super strong and was just running by feel. I was able to push myself without having the pressure of wanting to hit a specific pace. It turned out really well, too! I ran a 14:15 for the 2 miles, so averaged a 7:08 pace without pushing much at all.

I ended up finishing 6th overall (out of 135ish) and 2nd in my age group. I was 28th in the swim and the bike, and 1st in the run!! Not bad for my first triathlon in years...and even better, I had a blast! It was so much fun, I can't wait to do another.

No comments:

Post a Comment