Wednesday, April 3, 2013

What's for dinner??

I'm not creative...at least I don't consider myself creative when comparing myself to friends and family (especially my brother, he puts everyone else to shame...) Growing up I was never really into art or music or theater, it was always sports like soccer or horseback riding or even basketball for a couple years...

I've also never really been into cooking. Although I do LOVE my crockpot, and I mean LOVE my crockpot, did I mention I have a crockpot?? And I'm a huge fan?? =) Anyway, it's so nice to be able to take a bunch of ingredients and toss them in the pot and hit "go!" No thinking involved, no creativity required...until now...

Since being diagnosed with fructose malabsorption and changing my diet, I'm realizing just how much of what I ate is (at least for now) off limits.

Example: one of my favorite crockpot meals - Chili:
ground beef/turkey - ok
beans (black/kidney) - debatable but probably ok
tomatoes - not okay
onions - not okay
peppers - also debatable but green seem to be okay

So for now, chili is out. Okay fine, I have other crockpot meals I can make - Chicken Salsa:
chicken - ok
corn - ok
black beans - again, a maybe, but probably fine
salsa - nope...

Strike 2...okay, now what? As I've been going through my "recipes" (I use that term loosely...I cook/bake like I did chemistry, one reason I'm no longer a chemistry major...) I'm realizing just how often I used fruits, tomatoes, onions, etc. In some ways I'm discouraged because I'm really struggling to figure out what I can and will eat, especially now that all my leftovers from spring break are gone...but at the same time I'm encouraged!

I was in so much pain and having such a bad time eating, the fact that the majority of my diet had been coming from foods I cannot absorb means that I should get better! Even if I do have to cut out a lot of my favorites, I am hopeful that the severity of my symptoms correlates to the amount of "bad" foods I was eating prior to the diagnosis. And there are reports of people healing from bad fructose malabsorption! While I may not be able to go back to my prior diet of 10 lbs of grapes, 10 lbs of carrots, 5 lbs of strawberries, 8 grapefruit, 2 lbs of blueberries, and 10 apples a week (yes, that was just me...) I *hope* that once my stomach settles down I can at least add some of my favorite food back in at least in small amounts (maybe just 5 lbs of grapes and carrots per week =P).

In the mean time, I still need to figure out what I'm having for dinner tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment